Marine Corps Air Station Beaufort/Parris Island
Information on MCAS Beaufort
Marine Corps Air Station Beaufort (MCAS Beaufort) is a military air base
operated by the U.S. Marine Corps. This installation is located approximately
three miles from Beaufort, South Carolina. The official date MCAS Beaufort
was established was June 15
th, 1943. The goal for this base was to provide advanced training during
World War II for anti-submarine patrols. After the war was over, in 1946,
the base was temporality placed out of commission. Ten years later, it
was re-opened. In 1975, the airfield at the base was named Merritt Field
after Major General Lewie G. Merritt. MCAS Beaufort now covers an area
of 6,900 acres. The base works together with an air-to-air combat training
zone which lies off the coast as well as another training zone for air-to-ground combat.
MCAS Beaufort has received the nickname, "Fightertown East,"
with the original "Fightertown" located in San Deigo. The base
has a population of about 4,200 and is home to several different units.
The base used to be the headquarters for the USMC F-8 Crusader and F-4
Phantom II operations. Today, it is the base for all USMC F/A-18 air operations
that are on active duty. This air base, as well as many others, hosts
an air show which is open to the public. In 2007, there was an accident
during a demonstration by the Blue Angels, leaving one pilot dead.
MCRD Parris Island
Marine Corps Recruit Depot Parris Island (MCRD Parris Island) is another
military installation located near the town of Beaufort. It is only fourteen
miles from MCAS Beaufort and five miles from the town of Beaufort. The
purpose of this base is to train enlisted Marines, both male and female.
Every recruit from east of the Mississippi River has to report here to
be trained. Even those who live west of the Mississippi may ask to be
There has been a military presence in Parris Island since 1562, when a
French Huguenot expedition tried to colonize the area. They built a post
called Charlesfort and left a garrison there. The garrison, however, revolted
and sailed back to France after being left alone there for too long. In the 17
th century, Britain took control of the area and plantations were purchased
by Colonel Alexander Parris, after whom the area was named. In 1861, Parris
Island was used by the Navy as a coaling station. In 1891, Parris Island
saw its first Marines stationed there. As a result, military construction
in this area continued until World War I. It was not until 1916 that Parris
Island officially became the Marine Corps Recruit Depot and it has been
an important training installation ever since.
Today, the base at Parris Island trains over 17,000 Marine recruits every
year. Training for new recruits includes 13 weeks where they are cut off
from normal day-to-day life and trained in the Marine lifestyle. Although
the area only covers two acres of land, they are able to train in weapons,
martial arts, hygiene, cleanliness, drills, fitness, and combat. In order
to graduate from training, there are certain tests that must be successfully
Our team at The Federal Practice Group Worldwide Service is dedicated to
helping those on military bases who have been accused of a crime. When
choosing a legal representative in these types of cases, it is necessary
that they understand military law as well as criminal law. You can contact
our team for a case evaluation if you would like to learn exactly how
we could help you.
Marine Corps Air Station Beaufort
Marine Corps Recruit Depot Parris Island
Criminal Defense Information Center